Friday 25th March, 2011
Disguised as local land-based residents Boatwif and the Captain took a morning stroll to the village post office, there to dispatch a parcel to
We crossed the road and entered a green area, part ploughed field, part planted crops, part young trees. Berry Wood is a recent plantation, created as part of the
Through a large gap in the hedge there was a clear view of the new road, traffic smoothly spinning along towards
Since 1995 campaigning has been vigorous for the completion of a canal link to the river at
Photographs taken we headed back towards the village, green shoots in the field, blossom on the trees, warm sun on our backs a sign that Spring is truly here. The distant glisten of the
Starved for so long of our own boat are we fantasising now about a waterway that is still decades away from completion? Hopefully not...
And as for Cleddau: she's looking good, according to word from the boatyard; an inspection is planned for early next week. Just please let it be a real boat on a real canal!
*The roots of the Bedford & Milton Keynes Waterway go back 200 years to October 1811, when a group of Bedford businessmen met with the Mayor of Bedford to discuss the trade benefits to be gained from a link between the River Great Ouse and the Grand Junction Canal (as the Grand Union was called then). Local roads were poor, and they hoped that the canal would lead to greater prosperity for towns along the route and into the